Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Instant Gratification



When I first started running I remember someone saying, "the reason I run is for the t-shirt."  They further explained that having the t-shirt is a subtle (well, maybe not so subtle if it's neon green) way of telling others that I put in the effort and time to accomplish something difficult.  

How about the t-shirt in the above cartoon?  Our culture has been defined by many as a culture of instant gratification.  I want what I want when I want it.  I'm sure that sentence wasn't grammatically accurate but I haven't made no promises of being grammatically accurate. (see what I did with that last sentence there?)  Back to the point, if it's going to take some sustained effort, discipline and energy then we often cast it to the side.  Wearing the t-shirt from the annual instant gratification run wouldn't give you much to brag to your friends about.  Imagine trying to toot your own horn about that "race." 

While I'm not condoning or encouraging boasting I do think it's good to be proud and thankful for overcome challenges and achieving difficult goals.  Likewise, we need to encourage our children and friends in their efforts to meet goals that provide delayed gratification.  Anger and frustration can often result from our unrealistic expectations of instant gratification.  

Think about it...

What Scriptures or Biblical concepts do you think encourage delayed gratification?

Give an example or two of the benefits of having a delayed gratification mindset.


4 comments:

  1. The whole concept of living the Christian life in hope of being in Heaven with God encourages the idea of delayed gratification. You have to endure patiently to receive the reward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's obvious, but it still counts, right? haha.

      Delete
  2. Sephra--Of course that counts! Thanks for pointing that out. The Christian life and living with eternity in view is definitely an example of delayed gratification. I like that you mentioned patient endurance. In Revelation the message to the churches is not freedom from persecution but rather an eternal reward to those who continue to follow the Lamb.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On a side note, I think I won that 0-mile race...

    ReplyDelete