Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Disqualified for what??

No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize. I Corinthians 9:27

 The Olympics begin tomomorrow and already we are hearing about athletes being disqualified.

Read the article here

That's tough to disqualify yourself before the actual event begins. I read today that a Greek athlete was disqualified because of a racist tweet that she posted. She has since apologized but it seems she will not be able to compete for her team in the London Olympics. I couldn't help but feel sorry for her as she sees countless hours of training go down the tubes as a result of a careless word that was spoken.

This can be a great example for us when we think about the power of words that come out of our mouth. We've heard of athletes being disqualified for drug use or other reasons but this seems to be new territory. Scripture says that by our words we will be acquitted and by our words we will be condemned. In addition, James states that the tongue is incredibly difficult to rein in. I want to make sure my speech isn't a disqualifying factor in my race.

 Think... Do you think this girl has been judged too harshly? How do you think our speech can help us as we live the Christian life?


3 comments:

  1. I doubt [?] that the girl was a Christian, and thus perhaps she WAS too harshly judged. Of course most in the world around us often exercise little or no discretion as would hopefully come naturally to us. That is how I think that our speech can help us enormously as we live the Christian life. It constrains us to remember that we are different, and it also makes a profound impression on the people around us, whether it is friend, family, fellow Christian, business associate or stranger. People do take note, because the attempt to control the tongue is not always an easy thing for us. It is not even attempted by most around us. I remember when I first began my Law Practice, the other attorneys in the firm, [AND MOST SADLY--ONE WHO WAS A MEMBER OF THE DIGRESSIVE CHURCH, BUT A BROTHER] could not express anything without the language you can imagine, times several times over. NOT TO BRAG AT ALL, but I maintained my tongue, so far as I recall, for the entire seven years I was with that firm. When I was finally able to leave and establish my own firm, with staff and partners I had a choice in, and being able to set the pattern as the firm began, it was truly as sweet as a rose and a blessing from God. But in that situation, if I had lost my temper, THEN, I would have lost so much that I had worked for in my Firm. Thanks for the situation to think about. Randal Coon, Midway, in Shreveport, LA. rcoon1954@gmail.com; 318-688-3139.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great point, Kevin!

    She is a public face for her country, a role model to children and others, and now an example to other athletes and, as you point out, believers. It is a shame, but with so much at stake she should have better guarded herself - I'm perfect, I should know (hahaha - just kidding, but seriously).

    What do we have at stake? Then why do I live like nothing is. Are people looking at us to see what we will say? Then why do I live like they aren't. Great point to ponder, and a reminder of not repeating some of my many past mistakes.

    Thanks, Kevin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the idea of being a representative of one's country is why this was taken so seriously. For example, Peter's betrayal of Jesus began because his accent or way of speaking identified him as one who should have known Jesus.

    ReplyDelete